What is this medication?
Viberzi works directly in your intestines to slow the movement of food during digestion. Eluxadoline also makes the nerves in your intestines less sensitive to stimulation.
Viberzi is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome when the main symptom is diarrhea.
Viberzi may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How should I use this medication?
Take Viberzi exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Eluxadoline may be habit-forming. Misuse can cause addiction, overdose, or death. Selling or giving away this medicine is against the law.
Take with food.
Viberzi may cause pancreatitis or constipation, which could be severe or lead to hospitalization. Call your doctor at once if you have severe or ongoing constipation, severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back (with or without nausea and vomiting).
Usual Adult Dose for Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
- Usual dose: 100 mg orally twice a day
- Dose should be reduced to 75 mg orally twice a day for patients unable to tolerate usual dose.
- If severe constipation develops, this drug should be discontinued.
What if I miss a dose?
Take the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
How should I store this medication?
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What are the possible side effects of using this medication?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to Viberzi:
- difficulty breathing;
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
- new or worsening stomach pain (may be severe);
- nausea and vomiting;
- severe constipation;
- constipation lasting longer than 4 days; or
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back.
Side effects may be more likely in older adults.
Common Viberzi side effects may include:
- nausea; or
- stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Viberzi?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially:
- alosetron or other medications to treat irritable bowel syndrome;
- opioid pain medicine;
- medicine to treat depression, anxiety, mood disorders, or mental illness;.
- cold or allergy medicine (Benadryl and others);
- medicine to treat Parkinson's disease;
- medicine to treat stomach problems, motion sickness, or irritable bowel syndrome;
- medicine to treat overactive bladder; or
- bronchodilator asthma medication.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with eluxadoline, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.